Bernie Sanders (Environmental)
Bernie's Environmental (section page)
“In fact, climate change is directly related to the growth of terrorism," (PF)
Bernie seeks to accelerate the transition away from fossil fuels by promoting wind and solar energy and placing a tax on carbon pollution. Bernie believes in a 100% clean energy future. He wants to pursue a nuclear free clean energy policy that will decrease dependence on foreign oil, including the following:
- Ban fossil fuel lobbyists from working in the White House.
- Ban Arctic oil drilling and offshore oil drilling.
- Reduce carbon emissions in order to reduce the harmful effects of global warming on the environment.
- Ban fracking, mountaintop coal mining, and all oil or natural gas extraction from American public land.
- Increase fuel economy standards to 65 mpg by 2025.
- Clean-Energy Workforce of 10 million jobs and 100% clean energy system for electricity, heating, and transportation.
"Right now, we have an energy policy that is rigged to boost the profits of big oil companies like Exxon, BP, and Shell at the expense of average Americans. CEO’s are raking in record profits while climate change ravages our planet and our people — all because the wealthiest industry in the history of our planet has bribed politicians into complacency in the face of climate change. Enough is enough. It’s time for a political revolution that takes on the fossil fuel billionaires, accelerates our transition to clean energy, and finally puts people before the profits of polluters." - Senator Bernie Sanders (BSWCC)
"I am proud that, along with Senator Barbara Boxer, a few years ago, we introduced the first piece of climate change legislation which called for a tax on carbon." (DD1)
"Bottom line is, we need to be bold and decisive, we can create millions of jobs. We must, for the sake of our kids and grandchildren, transform our energy system away from fossil fuel to energy efficiency and sustainable energy." (DD4)