Incubator Classifier - Formulate baseline attributes
|Incubator Classifier - Formulate baseline attributes|
|Has title||Incubator Classifier - Formulate baseline attributes|
|Has owner||Anne Freeman|
|Has start date||2019/03/11|
|Has deadline date||2019/03/22|
|Has project status||Active|
|Has sponsor||Kauffman Incubator Project|
|Has project output||Content|
|Copyright © 2019 edegan.com. All Rights Reserved.|
These baseline attributes are defined so that incubators can be separated from non-incubators, and high-growth tech incubators can be separated from other types of incubators. In order for that classification to work, the first question we had to answer was, what is an incubator (Defining Incubators). Using this definition, we were able to curate a list of variables to capture key features of an incubator (listed below). We wanted to be able to collect the data using web-scraping methods. The attributes are numeric, yes/no, or categorical.
Characteristics Generally Used to Differentiate an Incubator from an Accelerator
- Duration: Startups at an incubator generally do not all stay for the same fixed duration; Incubator does not have a fixed graduation date for its startups or has a program that lasts longer than one year
- Investment: Incubator does not invest directly in the company or take equity in its startups
- Cohorts: Incubator does not have limited-duration programs that ventures enter and exit in groups, known as cohorts or batches.1
- Application Process: Generally has a less selective, competitive admissions process than an accelerator
Working List of Attributes
- Is there a set timeline?
- Is there a cap on duration?
- If so, how long? (value in weeks, 0 indicates no set timeline)
- What is their affiliation? (options: academic, government, corporate)
- Are they a non-profit organization?
- Do they receive equity from companies?
- If so, how much equity? (0-100, 0 indicating no equity received)
- Do companies pay membership fees to participate?
- What services do they provide? (eg. bank loans, legal counsel, office space, management training)
Type of Company Incubated
- What stage do they interact with a company?
- What industry are the companies that they interact with in?
- Are companies that they've interacted with mainly for-profit?
- Have companies that they've interacted with received VC-backing at some point?
- Do they have child hubs?
- How many employees do they have?
- When was the company founded?
- What city are they located in?
- What state are they located in?